Website Privacy Statement
Information automatically logged
- The University may make a record of your visit and log any of the following information for statistical and business purposes - the user's address, the user's domain name, IP address, the date and time of the visit, the pages accessed and documents downloaded, the previous site visited and the type of browser used. Identification of the user may also be requested and logged.
- Information about your visit to the website may also be logged by an external service provider that produces to the University de-identified statistical analysis about users' online experiences and trends.
- If you are not a student or staff member and you send us a message, the University will record your email address.
University sites have security measures in place against the loss, misuse and alteration of information. A login name and password are required to visit secure areas. Staff and students should ensure that passwords are kept confidential.
- A cookie is a small message given to your web browser by our web server. The browser stores the message in a text file and the message is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. It is possible to disable the acceptance of cookies by your web browser, however, doing so may restrict your ability to access some web pages.
- Cookies may store the following information: session (numbered key) and duration. A numbered key is a unique server generated number used to track your current session. The session key can be linked back to a user's login identification.
- Unique identifiers (such as log-in name and password) are collected from web site visitors to verify a user's identity and for use as account numbers in our record system.
- Unique identifiers are also used to access stored information about a visitor's preferences to enable the dynamic display of the site according to your preferences when you return.
Some University sites contain links to other sites. The University is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of other sites.
Use of Hotjar on our website
- a device's IP address (processed during your session and stored in a de-identified form)
- device screen size
- device type (unique device identifiers)
- browser information
- geographic location (country only)
- the preferred language used to display our website.
Hotjar stores this information on our behalf in a pseudonymised user profile. Hotjar is contractually forbidden to sell any of the data collected on our behalf.
For further details, please see 'About Hotjar' on the Hotjar support site.
Some University sites may have chat rooms, forums, on-line teaching environments, message boards and news groups available to their users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these arenas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when disclosing your personal information.
Access to information
VU will provide access to information it holds about you, subject to legal requirements.
In some instances, requests for access to information will need to be made through VU's Freedom of Information process.
Data collection notification statement for webforms
The personal information you provide via webforms on the Victoria University or Victoria University Polytechnic websites will be used by us to:
- respond to your enquiry if you have made one
- receive sufficient information about your booking/application/enrolment/feedback (as relevant to the specific form).
It will also allow us to send you news, event and course information from Victoria University or Victoria University Polytechnic if you opt in.
Failure to provide the requested information may result in us not being able to respond to your enquiry/booking/application/enrolment/feedback fully.
The information you provide via webform will be used by authorised Victoria University staff and contracted service providers who manage our email marketing.
The Student Information Privacy Collection Statement (PDF, 95 KB) provides further details about the types of student information we collect and how it is managed. Students should read this statement prior to completing any forms. If you have any questions about privacy or our data collection, please contact [email protected].