Victoria Police is encouraging applicants who identify as African-Australian to apply for the Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program.
Victoria Police is seeking to reflect the cultural diversity of the Victorian community as its workforce undergoes significant expansion. To help increase its workforce diversity, Victoria Police is partnering with Africause, Jesuit Social Services, Victoria University Polytechnic, AMES Australia, MatchWorks, and Maurice Blackburn Lawyers to offer the opportunity to participate in this program.
Attend an online information session to find out more on Monday 19 October at 7pm.
About the Policing Recruitment Pathways course
- Applications close: 23 November 2020
- Course start date: Tuesday 19 January 2021
- Course duration: 15 weeks
- Days of course: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
- Time: 6–9pm
Please note, this current recruitment round is being delivered remotely by Victoria University Polytechnic. Pending the amendment of current health restrictions, we anticipate that Round 5 will be delivered via a blended model with some face-to-face classes at VU in Footscray Park Campus, with the majority of classes remaining online. Regional applicants from outer Melbourne are encouraged to apply, with a commitment to attending the Tuesday night class in person throughout the 15-week course at the VU Footscray campus.
Course fees are covered by the Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program. There are no course cost to participants.
Support provided to participants
- Mentoring and support from African-Australian community leaders
- Participant assessment, and guidance on recruitment pathway options
- Guidance and support on cultural differences and expectations
- Mentoring, support and guidance to participants to succeed through each stage of the recruitment process
- 15-week Course In Policing Recruitment Pathways to build skills and capabilities for success through the recruitment process
- Training on professional culture and expectations of the Victoria Police
- Support and mentoring during the Police Academy training and ongoing mentoring following deployment to police stations
To apply for the Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program you will first need to meet our selection criteria. Later, you will also be assessed on criteria related to the role you’re applying for.
You will need:
- Commitment, good character and reputation
- English communication and numeracy skills
- To be an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident
- Police clearances and/or supporting documents presented by VISA applicants (this will be treated on a case-by-case basis)
- To identify as African-Australian; applicants from refugee and humanitarian backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
- To be able to pass the Police Fitness Test by the completion of the program
- To demonstrate knowledge and commitment to joining Victoria Police
- Cultural awareness gained by employment in Australia
About the Program
The Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program seeks to increase the representation of African-Australians from refugee and other backgrounds in Victoria Police. This new program focuses on the challenges encountered by African-Australians who apply to Victoria Police. The program is designed to assist and provide support to applicants.
Would you like to be part of the next generation of Victoria Police?
For more information and to apply for the Victoria Police Diversity Recruitment Program, please visit www.victoriapolicediversity.org.au.
Got any questions? Please contact the team:
Email: [email protected]
Phone:+61 3 9415 8700