The Visitor Economy Work Ready Program’s suite of offerings will upskill you fast to enter the tourism and hospitality workforce. After completing intensive training with VU Polytechnic, you are guaranteed an interview for an employment opportunity with an industry partner.
In this program, you will:
- undertake both accredited units and non-accredited training
- access pathways to further education and training
- gain hands-on practical learning at our state-of-the-art simulated environment, VenU Restaurant
- receive guidance from expert tourism and hospitality trainers
- develop skills in resume writing and interviewing
- be supported to gain an interview for employment with one of Victoria’s most prestigious and high-profile employers in the sector.
The program is free (fully subsidised) for participants. Limited spots available per stream.
All are welcome and eligible to apply.
There are three streams available:
Travel & tourism
Learn foundational knowledge and skills in customer service, problem solving, visitor information and computer systems reservations in this 6-day program. You will be prepared to start an entry-level role, such as front office and visitor information staff, trainee tour guide and retail attendant.
Course duration: Monday 2 May – Monday 9 May, 9.30–4.30pm
Front of house
Learn foundational knowledge and skills in food and beverage operations in this 7-day program. You will be prepared to start an entry-level role, such as a food and beverage attendant, function and catering attendant or barista.
Course duration: Thursday 28 April – Friday 6 May, 9.30–4.30pm
Back of house
Learn foundational knowledge and skills in food preparation equipment and preparing dishes using basic methods of cookery in this 10-day program. You will be prepared to start an entry-level role, such as a kitchen hand, cook or commis/larder chef.
Course duration: Monday 2 May – Tuesday 17 May, 9.30–4.30pm
- Accor: Art Series, Ibis, Mantra, Mercure, Movenpick, Novotel, Peppers, Pullman, The Como, Sofitel, Quay West Suites
- Comfort Apartments Royal Gardens
- Delaware North: Marvel Stadium, MCG, Melbourne and Olympic Parks
- LUCAS Restaurants: Baby, Chin Chin, GOGO Bar, Grill Americano, Hawker Hall, Kisumé, Society, Yakimono
- RACV Resorts and Clubs: City Club, Cape Schanck, Cobram, Goldfields, Healesville, Inverloch and Torquay
- Riverland Group: BANG BANG, Hotel Railway, Pilgrim, Riverland, The Boatbuilders Yard, The General Assembly
Attend enrolment & orientation day
Date: Tuesday 26 April
Location: VenU Restaurant, Victoria University Footscray Nicholson Campus
What to bring: Birth certificate and concession card (if applicable)
You do not need to attend an information session to come along to Enrolment and Orientation Day.