The Visitor Economy Work Ready Program (Front of House specialisation) will upskill you fast to enter the hospitality workforce. After completing intensive training with VU Polytechnic, you are guaranteed an interview for an employment opportunity with an industry partner.
In this program, you will:
- undertake both accredited units and non-accredited training, including:
- SITSS00055 Responsible Service of Alcohol
- SITSS00050 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- introduction to food and beverage service
- introduction to spirits, wines, beers & liqueurs
- introduction to coffee
- job preparation skills andindustry representative presentations
- access pathways to further education and training
- gain hands-on practical learning at our state-of-the-art simulated environment, VenU Restaurant
- receive guidance from expert hospitality trainers
- develop skills in resume writing and interviewing
- be supported to gain an interview for employment with one of Victoria’s most prestigious and high-profile employers in the sector.
The program is free (fully subsidised) for participants.
All are welcome and eligible to apply including international students.
Front of house program
Learn foundational knowledge and skills in food and beverage operations in this 7-day program. You will be prepared to start an entry-level role, such as a food and beverage attendant, function and catering attendant or barista.
- Round 1 course dates: 19-22 September and 26-28 September 2022
- Round 2 course dates: 28-30 November, 1 December and 5-7 December
- Round 3 course dates: TBC in 2023
- Accor: Art Series, Ibis, Mantra, Mercure, Movenpick, Novotel, Peppers, Pullman, The Como, Sofitel, Quay West Suites
- Comfort Apartments Royal Gardens
- Delaware North: Marvel Stadium, MCG, Melbourne Airport, Melbourne and Olympic Parks
- LUCAS Restaurants: Baby, Chin Chin, GOGO Bar, Grill Americano, Hawker Hall, Kisumé, Society, Yakimono
- Overnewton Castle
- Pancake Parlour: Highpoint, Werribee, Docklands, Melbourne Central
- Quest: Caroline Springs and Werribee
- RACV Resorts and Clubs: City Club, Cape Schanck, Cobram, Goldfields, Healesville, Inverloch and Torquay
- Riverland Group: BANG BANG, Hotel Railway, Pilgrim, Riverland, The Boatbuilders Yard, The General Assembly
Attend enrolment & orientation day
This session will involve a brief information session outlining the program, and a tour of the Footscray Nicholson campus facilities which includes commercial kitchens, a training bar and our award-winning 150-seat restaurant, VenU.
You will also have the opportunity to enrol in the course. Allow one hour for the information/enrolment session.
Information session date & time
Select one in the form below.
- Wednesday 24 August, 6pm
- Wednesday 14 September, 6pm
Location: Room D141, Building D, Footscray Nicholson Campus, Cnr Albert and Buckley Street
What to bring:
- Photo ID: e.g. passport, driver’s licence or learnerpermit
- Proof of Australian/NZ citizenship, if applicable: e.g. birth certificate, passport, Medicare card
- Pen and notepad