All new and returning students need to enrol to officially start, or continue, studies at Victoria University Polytechnic.

Before you enrol

Below we've listed the steps you need to complete before enrolling. If you are a continuing student you will be advised about re-enrolling before you complete classes for the year. 

Step 1 - Select a course

Before applying, you are encouraged to read all the supplied information about the course on the website. Victoria University Polytechnic also holds information sessions throughout the year where you can ask questions about the course and get assistance with your application. Register to attend an upcoming information session.

Please contact 1300 82 33 87 if you need further information.

Step 2 - Apply for a course

When you are ready to apply, please follow the Apply Now link on the course page.

As part of the application process you are required to complete a pre-training review. This ensures the training you receive is at the appropriate study level for you, and best meets your needs.

You will also need to complete a Language Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment to determine if Victoria University Polytechnic needs to provide additional learning support that may assist you in achieving your study goals.

Information about how to complete these steps is provided when your application has been received.

Step 3 - Obtain your Unique Student Identifier (USI)

All students are required to obtain a Unique Student Identifier (USI) before enrolling in nationally recognised training in Australia.

Apply for a USI.

Bring a printed copy of this number with you for enrolment, you won't be able to enrol without it. 

If you have forgotten your USI, can you retrieve it on the Australian Government's USI website.

Step 4 - Read enrolment terms & conditions

All students are expected to meet certain enrolment terms & conditions to study at Victoria University Polytechnic.

Some conditions are more specific, based on study area, citizenship and other factors.

Step 5 - Check your eligibility for a government-subsidised training place

Victoria University Polytechnic will assess your eligibility for a government-subsidised place at enrolment.

The Skills First Program is a Government fund that makes vocational education and training more accessible to people who don't hold a post-secondary qualification, or who want to gain a higher level qualification than they already hold. If you are eligible the government will contribute funds toward the cost of your training.

Check if you are eligible for a government-subsidised place at the Victorian Skills Gateway website.

There are also a limited number of eligibility exemptions available in 2017 for students who do not meet the eligibility criteria. Please ask about eligibility exemptions when enrolling if you are not eligible for government funding.

Step 6 - Check your eligibility for a VET Student Loan

VET Student Loans assist eligible students in selected diploma & above courses, to pay all or part of their tuition fees via a loan. This means you can study now and pay your tuition later.

If you are eligible for assistance, the Australian Government pays the amount of the loan directly to Victoria University and records a debt against your Tax File Number with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Read more about VET Student Loans on the Study Assist website.

Find out your course fees and VET Student Loan caps for diploma level & above courses.

How to enrol

If your application is successful you will receive an offer email with details of when and where to enrol in the course. Please read the offer email carefully and come prepared with all the required information and documents so that your enrolment can progress without delays.

Important documents to bring when you enrol

Make sure to bring the following documents when you come to enrol:

  • printed copy of your Unique Student Identifier
  • proof of citizenship, (you will not be able to enrol if you do not present proof of citizenship) this can include: - original birth certificate (not an extract) - passport - green Medicare card (as well as proof of age if you are under 20) - certificate of Australian citizenship
  • original and a copy of a valid concession card (State Government subsidised students who are studying Certificate I-IV)
  • copies of prior qualifications (if you are seeking Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or credit transfer for previous study)
  • school transition form (if you are under 17)
  • any relevant referral forms (if applicable)
  • your Student ID number (found in the email containing your enrolment details)
  • offer letter.

You may not have received your Student ID number or offer letter at the time of enrolment, but are encouraged to bring them if possible.

In addition, if you want to apply for a VET Student loan you are required to bring proof of Australian Citizenship, Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holder or relevant documentation for special category New Zealand Citizen.

Concession holders

If you are enrolling into a Government funded course at a Certificate IV or below level and have a valid concession card, you must present your card at enrolment to be eligible to receive the concession rate.

If you receive your concession card after you have enrolled, you can present the concession card at any VUHQ within 4 days of your invoice due date.

Sponsored students

If a third party is paying your fees for you (a sponsor), you must provide a completed and signed external sponsor agreement form.

Not ready to start your course?

Taking time off before a course has started is known as deferring. If you have received an offer but not yet enrolled, you can apply to defer your start date (up to a maximum of one year).

What happens on the day

The offer email will include details of the enrolment session for your course. At the session you may receive academic advice about your course, after which you will be asked to complete enrolment documentation and you will be assessed for government funding eligibility.

Please ensure you answer all of the statistical questions on the enrolment form. All information is collected in accordance with the VU Privacy Policy.

You will receive communication from the University once your enrolment has been processed asking you to login to MyVU and check your enrolment and access your statement of account.

Unable to attend or missed your enrolment session

If you are invited to an enrolment session but can't attend or have missed your session, don't worry! You still have a place at Victoria University Polytechnic.

You can phone the Student Contact Centre (1300 82 33 87) to find out if there is a different session you can attend.

International students

You must attend your international orientation session in person if you are a new international student.

Find out how to enrol as a new international student.

After you enrol

There are a number of tasks to complete after you enrol.

Confirm or update your personal details

It is your responsibility to ensure that your personal and course/unit enrolment details are correct. You can check and update your details through MyVU.

MyVU displays your enrolment details, how much you need to pay and by when (detailed on your Statement of Account (Tax Invoice)). Please contact us on 1300 82 33 87 if you find an error. Find out how to pay your fees.

Fee options

Eligible students commencing studies in 2017 in an eligible course may be able to defer their fees by applying for a VET Student Loan through the eCAF system. If you are eligible you will receive an email inviting you to apply for a VET Student Loan. You must complete the details in the eCAF system prior to census date in order to access a VET Student Loan. 

Continuing students that accessed a VET FEE HELP loan in 2016 will be contacted by the Australian Government with details on how to opt-in and access VET FEE HELP in 2017 for the same course. If you have not received this communication from the government, please go to the department's website to find out more information. 

If you have opted into VET FEE HELP for 2017, please remember to present the confirmation you receive from the government at any VUHQ.

Enrolled diploma and above students: please keep in mind your enrolment will be cancelled if you don't pay your fees upfront, submit a VET Student Loan form or opt in to VET FEE HELP confirmation before Census date.

Enrolled students not eligible for a VET Student Loan: you may be able to pay your course fees via instalments through our Payment Plan Option.

See more information on:

Set up your student email

As a VU student you are expected to regularly check your student email for important information and notices.

Your student email account will be available 24 hours after you have received confirmation of your enrolment. Learn how to set up your student email.

Collect your Student ID card

After enrolling, you can obtain your VU Student ID card by submitting your own photo online. Your card will be available for collection from your preferred VUHQ.

Your Student ID card is also your library card.

Pick up your student diary

Your VU student diary is a great reference, with important dates, activities and contacts to help you with organising your student life at Victoria University. Please refer to your local course timetable for information on term breaks.

Student diaries can be collected from mid-January each year from Student Lounges and VUHQ.

Manage your enrolment

There are other important enrolment steps and information to be aware of including:

Other pages in this section

Contact us

Search our FAQs

Chat with us

Visit a VUHQ Student Centre

Call us on 1300 82 33 87